Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Gettin' Hacky

Alright dudes, I know it's lame-o to just write a post about a potential hack, but let me honest and say I'm excited about this idea.

I work on the computer all day, and I can't say that it's not relaxing to just do some stuff outside of the computer sometimes (like sew!). It helps you stay productive so that when you are working, you can continue to work hard because you recharged your batteries.

Anyhoo, I have these Laiva shelves, that, crazy enough, can be linked together infinitely to create a giant shelf.

They can go in a pattern of shelf, free hanging shelves, shelf, ect.

So you go, entire shelf:

Then hanging shelf column (you can have up to three or four of these babies per column):



And repeat, like this:



I used this as a cheap entertainment center alternative (came out to about $70) for a couple years, but I'm moving soon and want to make these shelves pop a bit, and expand their storage capabilities. Plus I'm dying to sew some stuff up!

My hack would involve creating interchangeable, velcro-anchored fabric panels that would go on the back (and potential sides) of the shelf, like these (original on the left):



I want to keep this hack inexpensive and quick, and I think that this is also a cool way to keep shit from spilling out of the back/sides of the wide shelves.

Looking at it this way, I also think that I like the ones without side panels (second and fourth) than the ones with them. Reminds me more of the Japanese room separators bare like that.

I might even convert to making the backing out of some sort of paper (like rice paper or decorated wall paper) if I think the fabric stuff may not really be ideal, or if paper is cheaper and easier.

Anyway, hopefully more on this to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment